Friday, July 13, 2012

Women is not a commodity & definitely not a eye candy



Although Friday the 13th is a date considered to be bad luck in western superstition, today I came across two very sad incidents which are not less than a bad luck to our society.


The first incident was about a minor girl being molested by a mob in-front of a pub in Guwahati & that was filmed by a news reporter & his cameraman.


The second incident was about a 40 year old woman in Delhi who was declared mentally ill by her own family & parents just because she was suffering from Bipolar Disorder.







Both these readings ignited within me a feeling of sadness, angst & courage to write & discuss about them.


Yes, I am really sad & angry, both at the same time, not just because I am a husband, a brother & a son but also because I live in a society where someone's pain is somebody's reason to be happy. This just doesn't makes sense to me as why should I as a common man keep on let these things happen around me?


Both these incidents could just have been saved from happening. The Guwahati chapter was led or just landed as a very cheap publicity stunt by Atanu Bhuyan, Chief Editor of NewsLive, a local channel there. He says "Had we not shot the incident, the molesters would have been roaming scot-free". I say had you & your men had some brains & courage they could have saved this incident from happening, instead the bloody cameraman was again & again asking the girl to show her face (any justifications for this). I believe if the journalist for one moment would have thought about his mother, sister & wife he would have lent a helping hand rather than using his super heroic journalistic power to film & then make the whole thing viral to bring this incident to everyone's notice & at the end this would also try to bring justice to the girl & her family, what shit!!!


In the second incident, I myself feel sorry from inside for Jhilmil whose mood quickly swings between mania & depression and has therefore been abandoned by her own parents & family. At the time when she needed them most, she was betrayed by loved ones. I am sure this behavior of hers would have caused problems to her husband, children, parents etc, but I am not sure whether these people in question are humans. Unfit to be called social animals. Think from an angle where the same mother/wife/daughter would have just sacrificed & devoted her entire life in supporting her son/parents/husband, have they had the same disorder. 


Why can't we be humans once again? What is the bloody problem?


Better act than lament is what I feel right now. No I ain't doing anything to help victims of both these incidents (sadly) but I am surely going to treat women in my house & surrounding with more respect, dignity & humanism & encourage other men to follow suit. Women is not a commodity & definitely not a eye candy. I now feel more responsible towards them.


Guwahati Link


Jhilmil Story


From Blogger Pictures


From Blogger Pictures


From Blogger Pictures


Atanu Bhuyan


 

No comments:

Poetries inspired by life as it comes!

Popular Posts